Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Pale Blue Dot

I have to get the book Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan. Seems to be an interesting book, here is an extract from the same book.



I tired looking for the book at Waterstones and also at Books.etc but none of their branches have a copy of that book at all, seems like a rare one. I should look for it Foyles, or at Borders either of them should have a copy else I will have to get it from amazon.

Over the weekend 22nd Jan I tried all the books shops that I know of and I still could not get my hand on this book. It seems like a really rare book, well after all this waiting I have the audio book downloaded and so I listen to it when I going to work on the train. This book is really a very interesting book. One the things that adds Kudos to this book is the fact that it is an audio book( since very less concentration is reaquired), I dont think I would have read as much of the book if it wasnt an audio book.
There is some very interesting extracs from the book, that I would love to quote


...
George Bernard Shaw, in the preface to his play St. Joan, described a sense of science preying on our credulity, forcing on us an alien worldview, intimidating belief:

In the Middle Ages, people believed that the Earth was flat, for which they had at least the evidence of their senses: we believe it to be round, not because as many as one per cent of us could give the physical reason for so quaint a belief, but because modern science has convinced us that nothing that is obvious is true, and that everything that is magical, improbable, extraordinary, gigantic, microscopic, heartless, or outrageous is scientific.
...


This is just one of the many things that I find interesting in this book, I still havent gone through half the book but I seem to like it alot.

No comments: