Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Making international calls at the cost of a land line call

There is nothing great about making international calls using a broadband connection and your PC. The only problem being you should be at home with your PC and also having a broadband connection.

I can connect up my land like to my PC and then whenever I call up my land line from my mobile phone (local call charge) I should be given an option to make an international call, this international call will be made using my net connection and my PC. That way I would only have to pay for the local call from my mobile phone to my PC, since I have allready payed for my internet connection.

There are some issues about this desing.

1. Making calls using the PC to a specific land line - I dont think this is possible unless you sign up for a VoIp service that gives you that feature but you will have to pay for it. So for now we can call only other broadband users using this.

2. Interfacing the land line to the PC so that the software running on my PC (VoIP client software) will make the call??? - There should be some progress on this if Google goes in for VOIp and provides some kind of API.

These are the only problems that I can think of right now but I guess there are other things involved too.

Google VOiP

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how about this ... you have a smartphone that allows u to connect remotely to a windows PC. so u install ur fav VOIP software on the PC, connect to it remotely from ur cell and use Terminal server to remotely dial out to the phone/PC u care about.. also since term serv allows for sounds to be carried over to the remote client it should be just fine.. Fayyaz :)

Vivek said...

That is a very Windows solution.
Moreover do have any idea about the network speeds that wireless networks provide. I know 3G is much faster, but it still isnt that widespread.