Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Database Reverse Engg

I wanted a tool that would do database reverse Engineering, something I wanted for a project that I am working on. I knew that TogetherSoft provided a feature by which I could desing a database model in TogetherSoft and export that model to Sybase Database. I wasent sure if it could reverse engg ( i.e reading data from the database and creating a model) it seemed quite likely that it supported this feature.

I had a look in the menus but I couldnt get it, I also searched for reverse engineering in help but I still could not get hold of it, so I started searching for similar applications in Google, that could create a database diagram by connecting to a JDBC datasource, It would have been great if I could get an IntelliJ plugin that could do the same. I got some interesting results.

According to this article you can use Visio for database reverse Engg : http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6330-1039355-3.html

I couldnt setup up an ODBC datasource of my local machine to connect to Sybase server so I didnt go ahead with this.

Later I located the option in TogetherSoft that allows you to do database reverse engg.

Database Reverse Engg in TogetherSoft

1. Set up the DBMS server: Tools | Set up DBMS Server

2. Import the Database Schema: File | Import | Database Schema

Follow through the wizard and you are done......really simeple.

 

No comments: