Thursday, October 14, 2004

Wanadoo doesn't allow port 25 (smtp) out

Since I am waiting for my broadband connection I have I signed up for wanadoo dial up internet connection, I have also noticed that I am not able to send outgoing smtp email (using my paid yahoo account) I was hitting my head against the wall and cursing Yahoo since the main reson that I went in for yahoo plus ! paid account was so that I could get pop and smtp access to it (and ofcourse 2GB space - leave messages on server forever option). After running a few tests with other pop services like softhome I realized that the problem was at a higher lever and probally nothing to do with yahoo.smtp. So I went through my firewall setting just to see if it is blocking outgoing smtp - the firewalls setting were perfectly fine.
Next step was to packet sniff all the outgoing smtp packets, then I realized that I am not getting any response back from either yahoo or softhome, now I know softhome is not like the worlds best pop/smtp provider - they do have a problems at times.

Finaly I tired sending an email using wanadoo smtp and it worked, that is when I realized that it problem may not be with yahoo or softhome, rather the ISP ( wanadoo) dosent allow me to smtp out going to any other server other than itself , which is really crappy. I know never had the problem with virgin broadband. This is when I started googling to find out if this was a well know problem or rahter any one else had faced the same problem...and guess what ...Wanadoo not allowing port 25 out |some one else has the same problem.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for letting me know.. i have been wondering the same question.