Sunday, January 22, 2006

Eclipse Distilled


This book provides quite a good introduction to eclipse, I bet there is a lot of information about eclipse on the net and most people will not require a book, but I generally find that when looking into a new topic the amount of information is too much, quite often when you are looking at a new topic you want a high level view of the entire subject before you can choose the particular sub topic to dive into. This book provides that kinda high level view (well at least the 1st chapter does).

After reading the first chapter I am very interested in Eclipse Rich Client Platform(RCP) applications.

About a month back I picked up a book on SWT (Professional Java Native Interfaces with SWT/JFace), just for casual reading just out of interest. I liked the book very much and its introduction to SWT. At that time I was thinking that the next time I have to write a desktop application I should SWT instead of Swing. But today after understanding the Eclipse RCP framework and the generic features that is provider, I feel that it provides much more application support rather than just using SWT. I feel that if you are using Eclipse RCP you can then concentrate on the actual business logic rather than spending time re-creating a UI, moreover the plugability provided by RCP is really great.

Book:Eclipse Distilled

No comments: